Roofers: How To Avoid Roofing Scams
Often times roofing salesman get a bad reputation for taking advantage of people. They’re often compared to car and insurance salesman. Unfortunately high pressure salesmen with a low moral compass abound in our country in a variety of industries. Roofing attracts these individuals simply because there is a decent amount of money to be made, especially after a big hailstorm or storm with damaging winds. However, like most industries there’s good and bad. In this article we’ll share a few things to look for in a good roofing company to help you avoid the pitfalls.
Ok, you got hit by a big hailstorm…What do you do now?
This is where the rubber meets the road, and you need to know a few things to look for when you’re deciding on which roofing company to choose..
You can go online and see the litany of bad reviews and scam alerts from people that were taken advantage of. Any company that has an overwhelming amount of bad reviews with seemingly no corporate response…this is a sign to keep searching. Wether or not a company responds to its online reviews tells you a lot about their customer service. keep in mind that not all reviews deserve a company response. However, bad reviews will happen to the best companies. What matters here is that that company responds and does its best to address the problem.
Finding a roofer is kind of like picking apples. A good apple can taste amazing, refresh you and get you the nutrients needed to live. It’s kind of like finding a good roofer. They get in and give you the information you need to educate you on the process, and get the job done right the first time. A bad roofer or a scam artist is a lot like a bad apple. The first bite might be OK, but eventually you will get to the rot…which leaves you craving a good apple. Unfortunately the home repair industry is laden with people and companies trying to make a quick buck. Many times they make there way in with grandiose promises and a lowball price. They lowball the price because they know they are not going to really put the work in, so instead of fixing the roof, you end up with a roof that appears to be ok until the next storm or even minor rain hits. Unfortunately not getting the job done right in the first place can cause the damage and cost to repair properly to escalate quickly.
For every bad roofer there is a honest, reputable roofing company looking to make your roof repair experience as easy and simple as possible. When looking for a roofer here are a few basic items to check for.
1. Visit the Better Business Bureau website. Do they have a good grade? Do they have a lot of complaints and what is their response to any complaints? Is the company silent or do they work to rectify any issues?
2. Does the roofer have a physical work address in Texas. Even better is a work address in your area. This will help eliminate fly by night scam artist looking to make a quick buck and move on to the next town.
3. Ask for a copy of the contractor’s certificate of insurance.
4. Check the contractors suppliers. What kind of relationship does the contractor have with them? Does the contractor have reputable suppliers? Roofing is a tight knit industry and the good suppliers only want to be connected with reputable roofing companies.
5. Do they offer warranties? You want to make sure the company stands behind its work.
6. Ask for examples of past jobs or even references. They should have examples on their website of past roofing jobs.
We hope this article gives you some valuable information on what to look for in a roofer. Of course it would be great for everyone in Texas to choose Ja-Mar Roofing and Sheet Metal, but if you don’t we at least hope you’re able to connect with a reputable roofer to save your family time and hard earned money.
Ja-Mar Roofing prides itself on being one of the top roofing companies in Texas. If you would like to speak with a Ja-Mar Roofing specialist call 866-441-8437 or email us email@example.com. If you prefer to chat online click on our live chat on our home page.